[MF] Where is metaphysics in the MOQ?

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 4 11:55:44 PST 2006

Kevin,

In your knowledge/language/wisdom tripartite, you say that wisdom is
"essentially limitless."  I would take that to be an important statement.
And in that statement, I would take it to be impossible for anything to
"provide for an understanding of all that has ever been, all that is and all
that ever will be," which you say is the function of a metaphysics, or "road
map of reality."  We can certainly provide road maps for all that has been,
the past, and use the road maps to help us with all that is, the present,
but it would be a bad idea indeed to think you could predict the limits and
scope of all that ever will be, pigeon hole everything before it has even
happened.  That was the pratfall of traditional metaphysics.  Kant thought
he could pigeon hole everything by tracing the outlines of the possibilty of
knowledge, language, etc.  I take such tracings to be pointless when
confronted with new experiences.  As long as there is cultural change,
philosophy will never be out of a job in trying to get the old mixed with
the new, but philosophy should drop the pretension that it can reduce the
new to the old.  There is genuine newness, novelty.  I take geniuses to be
expanding the range of our experience, poets as using metaphors to expand
our language beyond the inferential limits of the currently encrusted
literalness.

The metaphysics, or knowledge, in Pirsig's philosophy is represented by the
static patterns.  The wisdom is represented by the static patterns
interactions with each other in the dynamic present.

Matt