[MF] reality: interactions or quality?

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 00:47:39 PST 2006

On these questions:
-------------------------------------
Using Pirsig's test for existence (from the philosophic school of  realism)
"a thing exists [...] if a world without it can't function  normally."  If it
ban
be shown that a world without the Metaphysics of  Quality
functions abnormally then it can be concluded that the Metaphysics  of
Quality exists.  It would appear to me that the MOQ fails this  test.

So where is the evidence that the Metaphysics of Quality is  THE answer
to the question, "what is  quality?"
--------------------------------

Ted says:
I'm no expert in Logic, but it seems like you're pulling a fast one with
this argument.
Pirsig used that "test" from the school of realism to assert that quality
must exist:
He basically said: "The world could not function normally without quality,
therefore quality must exist."    "A thing exists  if..."
What do you mean when you say the MoQ "fails this test?"

Are you asserting that
"Since the world could function normally without the MoQ, it must not exist
?"

Because it isn't much to say that the world could function without  something.
"The world could also function normally without "Mr. Ed" scripts, yet they
do exist."

i.e. I assume the realist did not offer that:
"If it can be shown that the world can function normally without something,
then that thing must not exist."

As for this question:
"So where is the evidence that the Metaphysics of Quality is THE  answer
to the question, "what is quality?"   "

If by 'THE' answer, you meant 'the best' answer, then I'd say that I  think
the evidence is in Lila.
If you want ABSOLUTE proof, you won't get it.

Ted.