[MF] reality: interactions or quality?

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:51:26 PST 2006

Sam and Marsha,

I'd mostly agree with Sam's words (strangely enough).

In the sense that "unreasoned" (in the GOF-rational sense) faith /
belief is pretty close to love in my book. (Closer to some kind of
direct experience, Marsha, to answer your other question).

But, the linguistic point (2) is double-edged. Not sure Wittgenstein
is the last word here, but it's clear word-and-object /
signifier-and-signified are bound together in actual usage and
metaphorical understanding (hence the uselessness of definitions).
What that means though Sam, only slighly modifying your words, is that

"we understand what [religion / love] means by seeing what is done [in
its name]".

On that score, despite the pitfalls of generalisation (present company
excepted, with all due respect, etc.), Marsha has a point.

Ian