[MF] reality: interactions or quality?

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 13:22:00 PST 2006

Ian wrote:

My  response is NOT "therefore" religion is evil, oil is evil, etc
(even the  dick-heads are not actually evil) ...
My response is "I wonder why", what  goes wrong with the human
processes, hmm that seems quite complex, etc ...  what can we learn ...

Thanks, Ian, that's how I feel, too.  It's easy to villainize, but,  too easy.
It's too easy to say that other evil people are "not like me" - they must  be
idiots, those fools.
Those greedy, short-sighted, corrupt bastards.  But in actual fact,  the
closer you get to where 'they' are, the more human their position becomes,  and
the more you wonder if  "I'd be doin' it just like them"  if  I were really in
their shoes -- really, really, not me, but them.

I saw an incredible film while living near Cornell Univ. in the  80's called
"Our Hitler" - I wish I knew more about the history of it, film  by a modern
German, I believe.  It addressed that issue of the  potential Hitler in all of
us - also, the ways in which Hitler really won in the  end... what culturally
followed.  Film buffs, take note, this film was  unbelievable!  It lasted so
many hours, 6.5, or was it 7.5 hours--- I  promise you, by the end, if you make
it, you won't know, or remember.  The  filmmaker, (again, I wish I had
details) - would spend a good hour or  two on building up the sense of boredom...
intentionally as the only way to  convey the intended mood properly, and it
worked!  Hell yea, it  worked.   As a filmgoer, draining, just draining.
Fuzzy subtitles , too!  I guess there were two eyeball breaks.  There was
extensive use of the metaphor of projection - Hitler's  fascination with Cinema,
and propaganda films.  In one long unbroken shot,  a Hitler puppet removed
dozens of layers of clothing from himself.  I  would highly recommend this film,
especially if your personal "Felix Culpa"  guilt complex needs a good kick in
the ass - it's torture.

Also, in my recent (un-threaded) attempts to explain to Kevin why I am one
who values MoQ, I noted that an important step for me was a change toward
seeing  the 'validity' of the existence of many things that I had rejected as
"phony",  or false... things like advertising, and politicians...
I changed to see all that is as equally valid - for being... i.e.things I
viewed as morally corrupt structures & things were given equal status  as real.
This was a big step toward the MoQ, for me.    I  had this change in '91,
just before Lila came out.

- Ted