[MF] reality: interactions or quality?

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 02:31:10 PST 2006

Mike,

You asked, "Why not consider [...] consider love as the extreme positive
face of value, which is a spectrum?"

As this thread and one or two others have developed -- thanks to
everyone who has participated -- it has occurred to me that that meaning
may be what Pirsig had in mind when he wrote "Quality is the source of
all things."  That is, value is meaning.  That which means something to
us is of value to us.

So I might translate Pirsig's Quality to meaning.  But I think I'd follow
James Fowler's lead and say that faith is the process by which we make
meaning.  And I think I'd place love over both.  Without love there can be
no meaning and no faith.  And I would add that all three -- love, faith and
meaning -- require effort.

Hope this helps.

Kevin