[MF] reality: interactions or quality?

Steve Mack smackc4 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 22 04:57:14 PST 2006

I don't necessarily believe so Marsha.  I think that no matter whether or not religion played ANY part in an individuals upbringing, environmental factors have the most to do with the outcome [be it a 'static quality' as per your recent descriptor, or a more fluid, transient status] of a person.

People can I believe, be encouraged and with this positive & consistent nurturing, the outcome may [or may not] be adopted to be a more 'productive' being, OR, with equal and opposing discouragement, may [or may not] 'grow' to be a being of lessor I.Q. than in the previous example.

I'll share a brief scenario with you, which you may well have heard many times; a 'zoo' elephant starts its life tethered to a rather proportionately small post.  As he grows, he remains [hopefully not full time] tethered to the SAME post.  Even though he continues to grow exponentially, he STILL THINKS that he cannot break free of this tiny post, BECAUSE as a 'child' he tried and tried but could not succeed, so continued to BELIEVE that he would never be able to break free of it and so resigns himself to the fact; ACCEPTING that this is the way of things...

PEOPLE are very much like that also; they lose 'faith' [as Kevin touches on] in their own abilities, so fail to explore the outside of the proverbial square [their comfort zone/s].

I once wrote a motivational paper for a leading USA based finance company, and I quote what I believe is an original statement of mine, conceived as a ten or eleven year old child - it went something like this;

'The ONLY limitations one has, are the self-imposed limitations that they place on THEMSELVES...

[Or words to that effect].

~Steve