[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

Kevin Perez juan825diego at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 04:16:17 PST 2006

Hello dmb,

Re: Faith, hope and love.  You expressed confusion and a lack of
understanding with the meaning and value others seem to have.  And it
sounds like you're convinced intellect trumps these things.  But it's your
concern with right-thinking and a person's responsibility to others that
really interests me.  After quoting Sam Harris' opinions on religion and
the religious, you wrote, "Harris points out that there is really no other
area of life where people are allowed to avoid scrutiny and its gotta stop."
And then you wrote the following.

     "Imagine if I told you that I'm "a man who maintains a love relationship
     with Thor or Zeus"? Wouldn't you be tempted to ask me what that is
     supposed to mean? What if I told you that I believe there is a giant
     diamond the size of a refridgerator buried in my back yard, that every
     Sunday me and my family go out into the yard to hold hands and sing
     songs over the spot where is buried. What if I told you those lovely
     Sunday services worked to hold the family togeather, that we all hope
     for the day when we're gonna dig it up and have faith that then all our
     dreams will come true."

     "Is it kind and respectful to allow me to persist in these delusions
     simply because I've told you how much I need them for my emotional
     well being? I think not."

Are you asking me if I think you're deluding yourself?  What you have me
do if I did think this?

Kevin