[MF] MOQ: valuable or not?

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Sun Feb 26 17:50:17 PST 2006

Ok - thanks David, for the lengthy expansion.  I agree that it's a  real
issue, the use of faith as a political shield, for  example.
-----------------

To Ted G, who wrote :
David:
I think I understand what it is supposed to be ("an  anti-theisitc
form of philosophical mysticism"(sic), though I would  prefer the more
accurate, but easily misunderstood 'a-theistic'.), and  I think I
understand what it has ,in fact, been since I have been  here
("GOD.org"). So tell me about this 'wrong impression'  please.
Thanks,
TedG

Ted C (Muzikhed) writes:

Hello, Ted G!,  Steve, thanks for writing....   Wow,  guys.

Wow, guys,   I didn't know about the GOD.ORG joke.   That IS funny, though,
I hate to be an unwitting butt of a joke,  but I guess crap happens.   Let me
just make it clear I did not come  here to discuss God, or Theism, but have
been drawn into this discussion, mostly  by Kevin.   I have posted many thoughts
on the MoQ of my own, NOT  relating to religion, or, in response to Kevin,
I've made many remarks about the  MoQ,  I've said I think I understand it, I
said I came here to test my  ideas with others who understand it.   No one
stepped up to say, "ME  TOO, right here, pal."  I decided to try talking to whoever
talked  back.

Other than a few remarks from Anthony, I've had little feedback on my  "take"
on the MoQ.
Not a single MoQ'er has stepped up to say, Ted, I think your  motorcycle sale
example was
not correct.  Not did anyone comment on my remarks on frequency of  Quality
Events on the 4 static quality levels.

   The person relating to me most has been Kevin.  And, I  guess, being still
relatively new to this, (Having not read many prior  threads, which might
have been wise) I didn't realize there was a long history  of hate on the topic
of this topic even being discussed.   So, while I  at first suspected that like
other Christians I've known, he  might have an ulterior motive, personally.
We got past that,  personally.  Someone could have, I think, politely told us
that  there's been a rich history of too much theism on the MF, and we could
have  taken our discussion off the site.

 So, I guess it's been my fault for just trying  to fit in,  here. When I
tried to explain the MoQ to Kevin, as I see it, I seemed to  stand alone.  I get
it.  That's why everyone just stood back for so  long... a lot of people had
either had the discussion before, or didn't  want to even be seeing it happen
again.   Like I said, I tend to be  socially retarded, and end up a fool in
many situations.   No  biggie.

Well, I could talk about theism, or not.    I sure  don't want to talk about
theism exclusively, but I personally wouldn't rule it  out.   David, it's like
the Art Gallery example I gave, do we want  open discussion on all topics,
with no constraints, or is it actually to the  point where the MD/MF has had
enough of religion for a while, perhaps the MD/MF  could call a moratorium....
that religion is out?
Has anything like that happened before?

Again, that would be OK with me if there's a religion  moratorium.   I'd love
to see what it's like with the focus on  other things.... there are so many,
many other things to think about.   Sure, Kevin would have to bow out, but he
may be on the verge  anyway.  Kevin's all right. I think he's as new to the
situation as I  am, maybe less naive, I don't know.   I don't think he intended
to dirty up the site.   He and I can continue discussion privately  if we
want to, as can anyone else who's met here.

As a final note, I took a look at Matt Kundert's (hero or villain?) final
word in the open letter to new MoQer's.

And remember: have fun. Philosophy  is an exciting venture, both for you and
those around you. If you take it  lightly and with a bit of flair, you’ll have
no problems. The worst thing for a  conversation is letting it get too
serious. There are a lot of nice and  interesting people in the MD and getting to
know them (through their philosophy  or otherwise) can be very rewarding.
Remember: its all a learning experience.  Once you stop learning, you die.
That seems like simple advice.

AS noted previously, I have noticed through life that somehow I have the
effect of killing many a party that seemed to be going fine before I showed  up.
 Can anyone tell me why that is?

Ted C (Muzikhed)

"... it was a song with a topical verse,
which I'm afraid he then proceeded to sing...
Something about the moody doomed love
of the Fish-finger King...

But you're nobody in this town
you're nobody in this town
you're nobody 'til everybody in this town
 thinks you're poison,
 got your number,
 knows you must be avoided.
You're nobody 'til everybody in this town
thinks you're a bastard. "

- Elvis Costello, "This Town" - Spike album.

" I wish you'd known me when I was a child,
  I was a funny feller,
  The crowd would hoot, and holler for more,
  I wore a drunk's red nose for applause.
  Oh yes, I was a comical priest,
  with a joke for the flock, and a hand up your fleece,
  Drooling the drink and the lipstick and greasepaint
  down the cardboard front of my dirty dog collar.

  Now I'm dead, now I'm dead,
  now I'm dead, now I'm dead.
  and I'm going on to meet my reward.

I was scared, I was scared,
I was scared, I was scared,
  He might never heard of Cod's Comic.

I'm going to take a little trip
down paradise's endless shores.
They say that travel broadens your mind
till you can't get your head out the door..."

Elvis Costello,  "God's Comic"  , Spike  album.