[MF] A thirty-thousand page menu with no food?

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:56:26 PST 2006

Matt, Kevin and all:

Matt said:
....by constructing the mystics' position on metaphysics as he does, I think
Pirsig constructs for them a version of "metaphysics" in the bad sense of
the appearance/reality distinction.  Thought leads you away from reality,
thought/metaphysics are appearances that present obstacles to our
understanding of reality. ...For the time being, Pirsig accepts that
understanding of "metaphysics" so that he can create his antinomy.

dmb says:
I'll ask you to re-think this. It comes up a lot. What if the mystics'
distinction between the menu and the food is NOT like the appearance/reality
distinction?

I think the mystics would tell you that the menu and the food are both real.
I think the MOQ's distinction between static intellectual qualtiy and DQ
preserves this distinction in such a way that both are a part of experience.
And then experience is equated with reality. You could say that in the MOQ,
appearance is reality. You could if it didn't sound so weird. In any case, I
do not think its right to construe that mystical claim as marking an
appearance/reality distinction. Despite the use of the word "reality" in
that section, its pretty clear to me that DQ is not some kind of Platonic or
Kantian realm beyond our experience, no reality behind experience or beyond
experience.

Matt continued:
...I was giving what I think the "Pirsigian line should be," which means
that we start to try and think as Pirsig might think, on our own feet,
rather than just quoting Pirsig.

dmb says:
Look, its pretty clear that we disagree about how to interpret this
mystic/positivist section of Lila. I think its perfectly reasonable and
appropriate to import pieces of the text to support my interpretation. I
think its perfectly fair and normal to look at the text under discussion or
in dispute and so I don't understand or respect your resistance to it. It
seems downright unreasonable. OK, I'm done bitchin. Now back to the actual
topic...

Matt concluded:
I think the quasi-artificial construction of "Pirsig's quasi-artificial
antinomy" from the menu/food analogy helps in seeing how Pirsig sees his
Metaphysics of Quality, which was the question of Kevin's that I was
answering.  It helps because it expands on the answer of how and why Pirsig
rebukes the mystics' position against metaphysics in LILA.  Pirsig does it
by acknowledging, as I first said, the limits of metaphysics.  Metaphysics
will not cut past appearances to reality.  But it will help with life.

dmb says:
As I just explained, I think Pirsig doesn't REBUKE but rather ADOPTS the
mystics' position so that it becomes the static/Dnamic distinction of the
MOQ, which is not an appearance/reality distiction. Other than saying that
metaphysics is inescapable, that's its just part of life, which is applied
to both the mystics and the postivisits, he doesn't REBUKE either position
so much as use his metaphysics, that larger format, to accomodate their
objections. The mystics insist that (ultimate) reality is distinct from
names about it and Pirsig says, yep that's right. The positivists insist
that knowledge be based on experience and Pirsig says, yep that's right. And
this "antinomy" grows naturally out of the problems in anthropology that are
discussed just prior to this section. There we have a case of objective
scientists trying to study the values of some particular Indians, whose
culture was centered around mysticism. (Remember the term "manito"?) In any
case, I suspect Kevin would have been better served by a "cleaner"
explanation, one without the Rortarian critiques. (Although I'm enjoying
it.) And finally, it seems to me that "the limits of metaphysics" is a very
crucial issue for you, fairly central to your whole stance. I don't think
Pirsig is really interested in exorcising the Platonic demons in the same
way you are, following Rorty of course. Its pretty clear that Pirsig is not
going out of his way to avoid ocular metaphors or certain vocabularies or
whatever. At the same time, I don't think the substance of his remarks are a
problem as far as that critique goes. I think that your anti-metaphysical
alarm bells go off too easily and so far it always turns out to be a false
alarm. And I certainly don't think metaphysics can claim absolute and
eternal truth. I really can't even imagine what that supposed to be and
strikes me as quite absurd that anybody ever thought otherwise. In that
sense, yes of course metaphysics is limited. But if we put away the
theological grandiosity and just do metaphysics, I don't see the problem
with it. As long as we're not going around postulating gods or realms or
essences for which there is no basis in experience, then there's no problem.
The problem with old fashioned metaphysics is that it made claims without
any evidence. You can't make statements about the nature and structure of
reality based on speculations or wishes or faith or anything like that. But
I see no reason to abdondon that branch of philosophy just because others
have done so. And I don't think Pirsig does either. I think that doing
metaphysics only makes Pirsig feel a little sleazy, but saying he's
anti-metaphysical goes too far.

Doing metaphysics makes me feel sleazy too. That's what I like about it.

Thanks.