[MF] Dharmakaya light

Lorenz Gude lgude at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 5 23:20:47 PST 2006

Hi Maggie,

Persig brings up the Dharmakaya light on Page 344 or more loosely the
last 4-5 pages of Chapter 26 of Lila. The first mention of the
Dharmakaya light is followed by the sentence "That was a huge area of
human experience cut off by cultural filtering." He also later refers to
seeing the light on Lila and mentions seeing it when he was was insane
and at other times and takes it as an indication that Lila has Quality.
In general when he sees it, he knows there is something important
happening that he should not dismiss. Time to slow down and take careful
note.

I presume Persig uses a Hindu term because we don't have a direct
equivalent in the West. Dharma = truth Kaya = body according to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharmakaya

They don't have a a separate article on Dharmakaya light specifically.
But we are in deep water here. In answer to a question about why
Buddhism has no God of creation The Dalai Lama begins his answer this way:

"I understand the Primordial Buddha, also known as Buddha Samantabhadra,
to be the ultimate reality, the realm of the Dharmakaya-- the space of
emptiness--where all phenomena, pure and impure, are dissolved."
http://hhdl.dharmakara.net/hhdlquotes22.html

Here is Dr. Yutang Lin, an intellectual and Buddhist practitioner,
talking to an academic audience on the subject:

In that experience, everything, including one’s own body, disappears.
There is nothing left, except the light of blue sky everywhere. In
Tibetan Tantric Buddhism this is called "the Dharmakaya Light."
Dharmakaya Light is the basis of Dharmakaya, the Buddhist terminology
for the universe. Nevertheless, the concept of Dharmakaya assumes that
all things are basically on the same footing, which goes beyond the
distinction of reality and non-reality, while the usual concept of the
universe implies the factual existence of things and distinguishes
between reality and illusion. In Buddhism, Dharmakaya is the collection
of all Dharmas, i.e., all things as they are. Hence the chair that I am
sitting on, and the thoughts and sensations I have, are considered
equally as Dharmas. So we cannot replace the term "Dharmakaya" with the
term "universe" at will.

http://www.buddhistinformation.com/pureland/seminar_in_zen_and_pure_land_bud.htm

Big stuff so there is no easy answer that I can see. I am tempted to say
that these concepts are all beyond the MOQ because they are all like
undefined Quality, words that point to but cannot encompass the
undefined whole. Back on earth, if you haven't read it already you might
want to read my personal experience of the Dharmakaya light that I wrote
down in 1991 when I first read Lila.

http://www.moq.org/forum/LorenzGude/drmakya.html

It is just my personal experience of how special experiences of light
came through the cultural filter so that I recognized Persig'd
description cited above. I expect it is quite a common experience as
Persig implies - because we lack a word for it it is just hard to
recognize it when it happens. Funnily enough I can hear Johnny cash
singing "I Saw the Light" as I write this. :-)

Lorenz Gude