[MD] Kant's Motorcycle

Joseph Maurer jhmau at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 1 11:12:11 PST 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 7:09 PM Case writes:

<snip>

I think Kant in his pre-everything-interesting sort of way, is talking about
the biological functions inherent in our nature. So I would put him the same
camp as Jung and Freud attempting to identify the structure of thought from
the inside.

Kant was attempting to resolve the dualism of his time which was essentially
SoM. The Rationalist held that Subjects are the fundamental stuff.
Empiricists claimed knowledge is OF Objects known through the senses. Kant
resolved the dualism by claiming that while we do have senses we format
their input. This act of formatting or perception is a how we construct
reality. He claims on the one hand that all we can really know about is what
we can format but that something unknowable is being formatted.
It seems to me what Pirsig is after is this formatting process. Experience
is where sensation arrives and is processed. Out of this process come
subjects and objects, in fact all distinction. Experience is where the
friction is. It is reality smeared. Pasta shapes in six dimensions. Leave it
to a German to make that seem boring and ugly.

<snip>

Hi Case and all,

Thanks to Horse and Ant for their superb endeavors for the MOQ.

Case, I love the way you describe experience.

>From Rodney Collins: "One of the main characteristics of modern thought is a
contradiction between the way a man regards the external world, outside
himself, and the way he regards the internal world, inside himself.

"As regards the external world, he has never been more objective, more
convinced of the universal application of "laws", expressible by formulae
and consistently measurable in their effects. In this field, any belief
which throws doubt on the principle of measurability, for example, any
belief in intelligence or consciousness belonging to beings greater in scale
than man, is in danger of being regarded as superstition.

"As regards his internal world, on the other hand, man has rarely been more
subjective, more convinced of the special validity of his every whim,
imagination, hope and fear, and less willing to admit that his inner world
is subject to any laws whatsoever. The greater part of modern psychology,
and especially psycho-analysis, has been based on this subjectivity. And in
this field, it is precisely the belief in laws and measurability-for
example, belief that much of human psychology is the result of the
calculable interplay of types, or belief that man's inner world is subject
to laws similar to those governing the astronomical or microscopic
worlds-which is called superstition." The Theory of Celestial Influence by
Rodney Collins 1950 p. xiv.

The history of thought that I studied in Scholastic Philosophy started with
a body/soul split. The body had the senses, and the soul had the mind and
will.

For knowledge Plato argued for a world of ideas which the mind was able to
access. The good, arete, which the will accessed was a much more immediate
experience and at a higher level.

Aristotle, keeping the body/soul split, proposed abstraction as a theory for
knowledge. Actual existence for reality existing outside the mind, an
intentional existence given to an abstraction, essence, by the mind from an
image created from the senses for knowledge and words for communication.
Aristotle held that you can't want something until you know what it is, so
truth-abstraction is superior to good-will.

Aquinas followed Aristotle's metaphysics, but at the end of his life
proclaimed that everything he had written was as straw.

Plotinus, founder of neoplatonism, proposed direct mystical connection to
the world of ideas, The body/soul split was secure.

Kant also used a body/soul split, but claimed the ding an sich was
unknowable because the mind had its own structure. He avoided abstraction,
and the world of ideas and opened the door for direct experience. He still
falls under the S= mind/will, O= body Metaphysics, with his emphasis on the
categorical imperative.

IMO Pirsig's genius was in seeing that Kant was on the right track with
structure, but that he wasn't ruthless enough in destroying a body/soul
split. Kant unnecessarily kept a body/soul split. She is only one organism!
All is experience. She is not divided. The Categorical Imperative becomes
evolutionary dimensions of existence, morality.

I go back in history to see how others view existence. Esoteric literature
describes a law of seven. IMO Existence along with everything else conforms
to that law. The duality of a body/soul split with real existence and
intentional existence SOM is incomplete and misleading. I looked back on my
studies of esoteric literature of Gurdjieff, Ouspensky, Nicol, and Collins
to see how others have viewed existence, and cobble existence and a law of
seven together.

IMO There are dimensions in existence, a moral order. It seems that time is
necessary for evolution to produce an individual in a new order of
existence. Morality is the necessity that when a new order evolves from the
old it cannot destroy the old and continue to exist, there are too many
interconnected parts. Individuals can destroy what they want to, but not
morally. Destruction of the environment is morally wrong. It is not too
clever either. Individuals belong to an order, and it is hard to distinguish
which order because they are so complex. One foot here, a hand there, but
the center of gravity places them in one of the seven orders. If one order
of existence collapses, all orders above it collapse, and evolution is
forced to start from the last latch. Time is involved, but...... Three steps
forward, one step backward. DQ is undefined and existing in all orders, a
must be. MOQ

A question: what does it mean "that you get nothing for nothing, and damn
little for two cents?" Payment is tied to evolution.

S/O is a description of cosmic evolution mechanical O, and proprietary
awareness evolution S. IMO Ham proposes that a shock, nothingness, is
necessary for PA evolution. Proprietary awareness with another shock,
payment, can consciously evolve to enlightenment. Cosmic evolution O,
proprietary awareness S shocked by payment evolves to conscious
enlightenment, SOE.

Joe