[MD] U.S. Values: the Jones

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 4 06:27:56 PST 2006

[Platt]
So he assumed everyone who read Lila not only read ZMM but remembered
everything in it? As usual, you stretch credibility to the breaking point.

[Arlo]
Oh yes, Platt, how incredulous it is for an author to expect people to read
two books.

[Platt]
So you can't cite where Pirsig made any connection between slavery and the
free market. I thought so.

[Arlo]
You can be an excruciatingly irritating man, Platt. Sometimes I don't know
what's worse, having to witness your constant assault on Intellect or
having to deal with your constant distortion of what I say.

The "connection" I made was this. In 1850, the "free market" happily was
selling people because the valuistic foundations of the market allowed this
to occur. A criticism of slavery, then, is not a criticism of the "free
market" but of the value forces that shape the market.

In the same vein, a criticism of commodity fetishism is not a criticism of
the free market, but _just like in ZMM_ a criticism of the value forces
that shape the market. In ZMM, Pirsig does not advocate the market be
controlled, so there is no change in his position regarding the free
market. What he DOES advocate is a critical examination of the value forces
we bring to the market, and how those value forces have created the
situation he describes.

[Platt]
Answer 1) what are the metaphysical foundations of the U.S. culture, and 2)
how those foundations effect the free market. Otherwise, you are just
blowing more smoke.

[Arlo]
1) SOMist. 2.) Read ZMM.