[MD] U.S. Values: the Jones

Khaled Alkotob khaledsa at juno.com
Mon Dec 4 16:45:38 PST 2006

[Khaled earlier]
> > I don't want to hear that. We have talked about that. No laws. no
> > spending limits. It's your money to do as you will. Got that
> Platt?

[Platt]
> Thanks Khaled for allowing me to keep my money or spend it as I
> wish. Now if the leftists would only recognize that as a fundamental
moral
> principle of  freedom.

[Khaled]
As far as I can tell, I am yet to find any one here TELLING you what to
do with your money. Suggestion were given and not orders, comrade Platt.

[Khaled earlier]
> > So back to the question. Legends have it that the top most
> president of a  Japanese corporation will earn no more than 7 times
what the
> lowest earner makes in the company. ( unless it's a private company,
then
> the owner's share is his).
>
>  What is excess?

[Platt]
> Excellent question, one I have asked time and again with only a few
> On what basis do you decide what is right and wrong?
>Is it up to each of us to decide on his own as some suggest?
> Or do we accept the authority of some religion?
> Or is the MOQ sufficient as a moral compass?
> I hope you have better luck than I have in getting contributors to
answer

[Khaled]
As a kid, I came home one summer day all excited because I found a buck
in the street. My Aunt was visiting us and asked me what I was planning
on doing with it. Fresh roasted cashews I replied. Here she said, I'll
give you money to go buy some. I would not have picked up the money but
would have left for someone who needed it.

Years later, I still visit that encounter. She was rich beyond rich, and
As my dad would say, has sold this earthly world for a nickel.

Think about it, to come on a 5, 10 or a 20 dollar bill, look at it and
say to yourself, : yes I would like to have it, but don't need it, let
somebody else have it. Now the catch is for every other finder after you
to think along the same lines and then it gets to the one in need.

I know this is a little diversion from our main question.

It's all about balance. Work, food, life, drinking, money, vacation,
family and so on. Trying to keep things in perspective.
A couple of questions to add to the mix.
If you are content, do you tend to share more.
If you came from a more unfortunate background, does that make you want
to share more.
Is it really a net-zero gain in the end, meaning that if the rich did not
work so hard to "share" later, there would have been more left at the
bottom to begin with.

Khaled