[MD] U.S. Values: the Jones

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Mon Dec 4 14:16:18 PST 2006

Quoting Khaled Alkotob <khaledsa at juno.com>:

> So the golden question is as follows.
>
> For the most part, all major religions/doctrines have a thing about
> killing, stealing, lying, and coveting your neighbor's wife.
>
> Where does the MOQ ( now that we are on higher grounds, I hope) stand on
> spending half a billion dollars for a yacht. Is a quarter million dollars
> Bentley fall under that category when a $70,000 lexus will do.
>
> Pirsig left "Quality" undefined.
>
> I am trying to define "Excess". Yes I know we are going to hear about the
> Free Market, Capitalism and all of its virtues and so on.
>
> I don't want to hear that. We have talked about that. No laws. no
> spending limits. It's your money to do as you will. Got that Platt?

Thanks Khaled for allowing me to keep my money or spend it as I wish. Now if
the leftists would only recognize that as a fundamental moral principle of
freedom.

> The question is, yes, I can sell my house and move in an apartment and
> give my money to the poor. Does that mean I should deny myself?
>
> We had a saying when I was growing up. "A divider never enters heaven".
> not a person that divides between people but a person giving each their
> share of a pie. Because it is a sin to shortchange YOURSELF, as it is a
> sin to play favorites and shortchange someone else. Saying I'll take the
> smaller goes to show that you did not give yourself what is your right.
> Just is just
>
> So back to the question. Legends have it that the top most president of a
> Japanese corporation will earn no more than 7 times what the lowest
> earner makes in the company. ( unless it's a private company, then the
> owner's share is his).
>
> What is excess?

Excellent question, one I have asked time and again with only a few responses:
On what basis do you decide what is right and wrong? Is it up to each of us
to decide on his own as some suggest? Or do we accept the authority of some
religion? Or is the MOQ sufficient as a moral compass? I hope you have better
luck than I have in getting contributors to answer

Platt