[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Dec 5 09:36:15 PST 2006

[Ian]
I actually believe we have a whole series of "onion-skins" making up the
whole socio-cultural-intellectual levels.

[Arlo]
I agree, but also think we have a whole series of onion-skins making up the
inorganic and biological too. I mean the biological level jumps from an
amoeba to a dolphin. Inorganic encompasses quarks to quartz.

And, I think, if we consider the emergentist nature of the MOQ, where
collective activity of individuals give rise to the emergence of higher
level patterns, this also occurs in gradations within the levels. Muscles
and organs arise from the collective activity of individual cells. Human
bodies arise from the collective activity of muscles and organs. Etc. So
although we see evolutionary leaps creating four broad levels, within level
evolution occurs as well. Or, perhaps better stated, evolution is a
continuum eventually reaching a point of complexity on one level from which
an entirely new level is able to emerge (social patterns could not emerge
from biological patterns until those biological patterns reached a certain
point of complexity).

So while the four MOQ levels provide broad classification categories, we
should not surmise that everything within any particular level is
evolutionarily (or morally) equal.