[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Dec 5 11:16:44 PST 2006

[Marsha]
In Lila's Child (pp.256-258), Platt offered 13 basic principles of  the
MOQ.  RMP annotated these principles by stating, "This summary of
principles is excellent."

[Arlo]
No matter. What I find "at fault" in Platt's first principle is the
elevation of DQ as "good" and the implication that SQ is "bad". DQ does not
"flourish" in the absence of SQ, it degenerates into chaos. What allows
"flourishing" is finding that harmony between "freedom" and "order", so
that advances can be preserved. And as complexity increases, for new levels
to emerge.

I would, therefore, foreground this balance.