[MD] 1961 Paper - "Quality in Freshman Writing"

Michael Hamilton thethemichael at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 15:57:23 PST 2006

Lookie what I just found:

"Anxiety, the next gumption trap, is sort of the opposite of ego.
You're so sure you'll do everything wrong you're afraid to do anything
at all. Often this, rather than "laziness," is the real reason you
find it hard to get started. This gumption trap of anxiety, which
results from overmotivation, can lead to all kinds of errors of
excessive fussiness. You fix things that don't need fixing, and chase
after imaginary ailments."

"When beginning a repair job you can list everything you're going to
do on little slips of paper which you then organize into proper
sequence. You discover that you organize and then reorganize the
sequence again and again as more and more ideas come to you. The time
spent this way usually more than pays for itself in time saved on the
machine and prevents you from doing fidgety things that create
problems later on."

High time I tried this.

Mike