[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

David M davidint at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 10:18:07 PST 2006

Hi DMB

I think this is far from clear:

> dmb says:
> The point and purpose of the third level is to increase freedom by taming
> and molifying the biological values while the point and purpose of the
> fourth level in to increase freedom by taming and molifying social values.
> The difference in these aims is what makes democracy and human rights an
> intellectual level value and that's why social level morality is about sex
> and the other appetites. This is the basic principle or idea behind the
> distinction. They can also be thought of in terms of levels of cognition
> where the third level represents convention and common sense while
> intellect
> is more about skilled critical thinking and there are other dimensions
> worth
> exploring, but that's the basic idea.

Surely sex and appetites are biological level in origin at least. When
society
develops I assume it supports values that help society to function as well
as it can, so maybe democracy and human rights are based in social values
but also point tointellectual ones because they are argued for
intellectually
and also support the individual against excess restrictions that are
actually
bad for society due to the dynamic benefits of intelllect and individual
freedoms.

What do you think are the different values that really distinguish the
3rd and 4th levels? What are the values of science for example?
Gaining control over nature? Is that not also the first value
of society along, perhaps, with security for farmers and
towns people over warriors?

I imagine the key is whether individual freedoms and intellectual
developments are enabling individuals and society to evolve and improve,
so they need to maintain the gains of the social level whilst overcoming
its restrictions, like, for example, the sexual inequality of traditional
society.

Ta
David