[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 10 13:38:55 PST 2006

David M said to dmb:
I think this is far from clear: ...Surely sex and appetites are biological
level in origin at least. When society develops I assume it supports values
that help society to function as well as it can, so maybe democracy and
human rights are based in social values but also point to intellectual ones
because they are argued for intellectually and also support the individual
against excess restrictions that are actually bad for society due to the
dynamic benefits of intelllect and individual freedoms.

dmb says:
An intellectual argument FOR something doesn't change the nature of that
thing. Hedonism makes a case for biological values, for example. And this
would only undo one of several kinds of confusion in your "sentences". Think
about this in terms of the principles I mentioned; social values control
biology and intellectual values control society. Are human rights and
democracy aimed at controlling the appetites of the organism? Are they aimed
at overcoming gravity? No, of course not. They are aimed at putting the
breaks on societies control over people. Freedom of speech, freedom of
religion, freedom of association and assembly, freedom of conscience and all
that sort of thing is aimed at protecting the freedom to think and say and
believe regardless of whether or not society likes it.

It true that intellect depends on the health of society just like its true
that scientists have to eat and stay warm at night. But I think if this
truism is used to assert social values over intellectual values, even the
one's that seem to threaten it, then you've missed the point of the MOQ's
moral codes.

David M continued:
What do you think are the different values that really distinguish the 3rd
and 4th levels? What are the values of science for example? Gaining control
over nature? Is that not also the first value of society along, perhaps,
with security for farmers and towns people over warriors?

dmb says;
Social values are all about control over nature with sex being the most
intimate and powerful forces of nature. But it seems to me that technology
is the application of scientific knowledge to the social level's concerns.
The failure to recognize the distinction between social and intellectual
values is a huge part of the problem. Think of atomic weapons, for example.
The discoveries of science, when appropriated by social institution, can be
really disasterous. Even on a personal level, there are lots of people with
science degrees and see no problem with selling those skills to
corporations, the "sell-outs", as Pirsig calls them, are immoral according
to the MOQ. But the failure to recognize this, in a more general sense, is
what's led to the fake, plastic feel of the world we've created with this
technology. It is born of intellect, but just keeps on with the old goals of
finding food and protecting us from the forces of nature, including those
who would like to find the same food. Like the Victorians, intellect is
still treated as a servant of society when it should be the other way
around....

David M also said:
I imagine the key is whether individual freedoms and intellectual
developments are enabling individuals and society to evolve and improve, so
they need to maintain the gains of the social level whilst overcoming its
restrictions, like, for example, the sexual inequality of traditional
society.

dmb says:
The power and status of women in society is an excellent example. I won't
repeat the conventional wisdom since everybody knows. Thinking about that
public debate in terms of the MOQ's levels can clear up some confusion. All
the levels are very much in play. We saw that political empowerment, changes
in traditional gender roles and sexual freedom all arrived on the scene at
the same time and we generally seen to be all of a piece. This is how the
hippies confused bq with DQ, etc.. But in the MOQ we can see that there are
several horses in that race and hopefully sort out which is which. That way
we can avoid inadvertantly advocating hedonism or Victorian reaction or
stepping on somebody's rights by confusing expression with vice. A society
guided by intellectual principles should treat inequality as a tragedy and
crime.

Ask yourself a question, David M. What institutions and ideologies in our
culture do the most to stand in the way of that goal? Who and what opposes
equality? Make a list. That list will tell you who defends social level
values and what they are.

Thanks,
dmb