[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 11 06:46:33 PST 2006

[Craig asked]
Does a society which rewards those who should be rewarded & punishes
those who should be punished, exhibit equality or inequality?

[Arlo]
I don't think you can answer that, as I think it depends on how (and
who) that society determines who should be punished and who should be
rewarded. And in what forms that rewarding and punishing takes.

For example, suppose society A holds that race is a determinant in
deciding who gets rewarded and punished. We'd hardly consider that
"equal", and yet it meets the criteria in your statement. In other
words, its in the working out of the word "should" in your statement
that equality and inequality are brought to bear.