[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

Dan Glover daneglover at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 22:17:03 PST 2006

Hello everyone

>From: "Case" <Case at iSpots.com>
>To: <moq_discuss at moqtalk.org>
>Subject: Re: [MD] The MOQ's First Principle
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:14:19 -0500
>
>[Dan]
>Let me get this right: you believe you would probably end up like this guy,
>frozen to the bottom of a creek. Or would it be better to make the whole
>ordeal into sort of an adventure by simply being prepared?
>
>[Case]
>I would try to hedge my bets and do what seemed reasonable at the time. It
>sounds like that's what this guy did. Prepared? Prepared for what? The car
>to break down? For a rock to fall on the car? Scouting aside preparation is
>over rated.

[Dan]
You can't be serious. Are you going to leave on a trip with an empty gas
tank? Hedge your bets? How is being dead hedging a bet?

> > [Case]
> >But the future is not fated.
>

>[Case]
> >The greater the uncertainty of a situation the less likely any planned
>strategy is to work.
>
>[Dan]
>Maybe you live in an area where you really don't have to worry about
>freezing to death. Still, if you happen to live in certain areas of the
>country, you're going to be travelling in hazardous weather. Nothing
>uncertain about that. So how does uncertainty apply in this situation?
>
>[Case]
>I don't know that the guy was unprepared. If he sat out in the cold for a
>week before setting off on foot it sounds like he was pretty prepared. How
>prepared does one need to be? Traveling around with a month's supply of
>food
>in the truck seems a bit like over kill to me no matter where you live.

[Dan]
>From what I understand, all they had was baby food. Perhaps you're not up on
some of the latest in dried food technology...there's items one can purchase
with a 30 year shelf life. Do you know that the average food supply most US
cities carry is 3 days? 3 days! What would you and your family do in case of
a disruption? Starve? But I'm getting sidetracked...

....what's wrong with putting together a 'care' package to take with on a
journey? Especially if you know the weather is bad. Something a person can
just throw in the trunk or behind the seat. A week's worth of dried food,
some blankets, extra clothes. Is a person obsessive to think like that? If
so, I'm guilty.

> > [Case]
> > Chaos makes fools of us all.
>
>[Dan]
>How does chaos, being a state of utter confusion/disorder/formlessness,
>make
>
>anything? Isn't that a contradiction? Perhaps it's better to say we make
>fools of ourselves by not paying attention.  Attention defeats chaos hands
>down.
>
>[Case]
>Chance is a bitch. Call it anthropomorphizing if you will; it is still so.

[Dan]
So chance and chaos are the same?

>[Case]
>Over preparation is called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

[Dan]
Can't seem to help it.

>[Case]
>Do you seriously
>think you can prepare yourself against all the slings and arrows of
>outrageous fortune?

[Dan]
Is there a choice? You'd rather just give in?

>How do you find time to meditate with all that worry and
>preparation going on?

[Dan]
No tv.