[MD] Dawkins a Materialist

Dan Glover daneglover at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 14:10:34 PST 2006

Hello everyone

>From: "ian glendinning" <psybertron at gmail.com>
>To: moq_discuss at moqtalk.org
>Subject: [MD] Dawkins a Materialist
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:31:40 -0600
>
>Hi folks,
>
>This news story on a $27m Museum of Creation in "Middle America"
>(Kentucky) perhaps shows the ludicrous excess of faith-based world
>views. Frightening that visitors might actually value this kind of
>misinformation.
>
>The telling issue for me though is the quote from the organisation,
>justifying literal belief in Genesis, as just as valid an "a priori"
>assumption as Dawkins belief in materialism.
>
>I'd have to say I agree. Thank god it's not a matter of choice between
>the two for MoQ'ers. Literal materialism is as dead as literal gods.
>Neither a priori assumption is valid.

Hi Ian

It seems a valid observation though that Dawkins is operating from a context
of scientific materalism based on falsification while the creationists are
operating from a context of dogmatic faith based on belief. I just don't see
much room for agreement here. It appears the religious fundamentalists are
taking materialism out of context to support their own unfounded belief
system. A pretty common tactic, no?

Thanks for your comments,

Dan