[MD] Dawkins a Materialist

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 16:04:58 PST 2006

Hi Dan, Davids, et al ...

Only out of context in the sense that each is using their
representation of the other in an "attack is the best form of defence"
rhetorical tactic. (As DM points out to DMB too, a pointless binary
argument with nary a though for any middle-ground of agreement.

Not "much" room for agreement, I'll grant you, but not much is not the
same as none. Just enough of a foothold to build on, if you're that
way inclined - to build rather than win.

Being a common tactic doesn't make it a "good" one does it, Phaedrus ?

The recent Pirsig Guardian interview inlcudes Pirsig confirming his
point yet again that "science doesn't get it" any more than faith
does. Science may be more explicitly contingent (falsifiable) than
faith, but the point is it is no more "founded" than faith
metaphysically - like faith, it's just evolved cultural behaviour,
good behaviour, much better behaviour than (fixed) faith, I'll grant
you, but totally "unfounded" none-the-less.

If you're looking for an argument you can generally find one, so no
points for that :-)
Ian