[MD] Dawkins a Materialist

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:41:13 PST 2006

Ian said:
The telling issue for me though is the quote from the organisation, (Museum
of Creation) justifying literal belief in Genesis, as just as valid an "a
priori" assumption as Dawkins belief in materialism. ...I'd have to say I
agree. Thank god it's not a matter of choice between the two for MoQ'ers.
Literal materialism is as dead as literal gods. Neither a priori assumption
is valid.

dmb says:
That's not what the MOQ says, that's what Quine says. And even then its only
true on a philosophical level. The fact is, the "assumptions" of scientific
materialism work perfectly well on a practial level every day of the week.
In conventional reality, where the museum of creation is being built, there
are social, political, intellectual and moral issues at stake, all of which
you are ignoring entirely. And on that level the myth of materialism is not
at all dead. Nearly everyone in the West still believes in it. Doubting it
never even occurs to most people. In any case, the MOQ's distinction between
social and intellectual values prevents us from coming to the ridiculous
conclusion that science and fundamentalism are equally valid or invalid.
Agreeing with the creationists in their attitude toward science is
anti-intellectual and, I think, immoral according to the MOQ.

As Ken Wilber says about the extreme postmodernists, they equalize science
and religion by shooting them both in the head.

It has to be said. This is more drivel. (I'm soaked) It has to be asked.
What's the point of undermining every distinction?

Thanks,
dmb