[MD] 1961 Paper - "Quality in Freshman Writing"

Dan Glover daneglover at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 17:29:19 PST 2006

Hello everyone

>From: "ian glendinning" <psybertron at gmail.com>
>To: moq_discuss at moqtalk.org
>Subject: Re: [MD] 1961 Paper - "Quality in Freshman Writing"
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:07:56 -0600
>
>Hi Dan,
>
>I've certainly shared this stuff (and the Granger / Deweyian /
>Pirsigian aesthetic references) with "Friends of Wisdom" ... who are
>all about improving teaching in educational institutions.

Hi Ian

That's good. The meager experience I've had with higher education led me to
believe that students were there to learn what the instructors were there to
teach. Period. There seemed an unspoken assumption that if it were worth
teaching they'd be teaching it already. I am glad things have changed.

>They liked it. We should not understimate how sympathetic the world is
>to hearing this stuff in context. If we don't share, we'll never know.
>(It was from that group that I got the Wayne Booth rhetorical teaching
>link too - I can't remember whether I posted that link here ?

It doesn't sound familar.

>Fascinating.)
>
>"Knowing whether a writer cares" - the value of rhetoric.
>
>Ian
>PS, I know from DMB's responses that almost everything I write is junk too
>:-)

Yeah, well don't feel too bad about that. I'm an obsessive compulsive
orthodox hindu know-it-all poser. I suppose things could always be worse
though. I could live in Cleveland.

Thanks for your comments,

Dan