[MD] Sneddon's Whitehead

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:58:32 PST 2006

This comment was taken from the "Chaos" thread...

Case said to Chin:
I do not have as much time as I would like to analyze the Sneddon Thesis but
from what I have read so far he is presenting an alternative to the mystical
view widely held in this forum. I have tried many times to present similar
notions although I was and still am very unfamiliar with Whitehead....

dmb says:
I'm psyched about Sneddon's thesis, although I haven't read it yet, and most
of what I know about Whitehead is the stuff I learned yesterday. Despite
these profound disadvantages, I had a hunch. My instincts told me that your
assertion was very unlikely, that Whitehead couldn't or shouldn't be used as
"an alternative to the mystical view". Hopefully, I will be able to re-visit
this issue when I'm armed with a little more information. But let me tell
you what I've found so far....

"If you like to phrase it so, philosophy is mystical. For mysticism is
direct insight into depths yet unspoken. But the purpose of philosophy is to
rationalize mysticism; not by explaining it away, but by the introductions
of novel verbal characterizations, rationally coordinated." Alfred North
Whitehead in Modes of Thought (1938) p. 237.

Also, his process philosophy has been adopted by theists and transformed
into a thing called "process theology". Basically, Whitehead is used to
defend an abstract theism by some of the more philosophically-minded
theologians. And apparently this is not too much of a reach. Whitehead's
background was heavily influenced by the Church of England. His father and
uncles were vicars and his brother was a bishop in the church.

Also, I was investigating the origins of phenomenology because I'm taking a
class next semester. Apparently Whitehead and Husserl were working
independently on the same problems at the same time. One could even make a
case that Whitehead, Husserl and the Radical Empiricism of William James
were all working the same turf, they were all working that area where
epistemology begins to explore mystical regions of consciousness.

But, like I said, at this point I'm just an ignorant dude following his
hunches. Much to my surprize, I've found that following hunches usually pays
off quite well. It's almost a magical kind of fun and recommmend it highly.

Thanks,
dmb