[MD] Research

Squonkonguitar at aol.com Squonkonguitar at aol.com
Wed Dec 13 14:06:57 PST 2006

Hello Dan,
This is a fascinating article.
There was a time when i was studying music and philosophy as separate areas
and this article would have been a good subject for the music side of  things.
I jumped over to the philosophy though and there is very little written
about music by philosophers, which is a great pity in my view.
I think philosophers tend to regard music as biological and therefore
irrelevant area of study. Maybe that is changing in the area of philosophy of  mind?
I don't know.
Those philosophers who study culture seem to regard popular music as low
art. This is where this article may have been valuable - imagine correlating
popular music with the philosophy of language!

Moving onto an moq look at this you may have hit upon something here  Dan?
The moq would say those aspects of language which are imitated are social
patterns, but language has musical tones also, as this article highlights. I've
always thought of music as a Dynamic activity: If this is an appropriate way
of  thinking about it, then language may derive a Dynamic component through
musical  tone?
Imagine a monotone speech?
It kills doesn't it? Stone dead.
Tone introduces more meaning and cannot be defined in a dictionary.
Words: Static aspect.
Tone: Dynamic function?

At the intellectual level, abstract relationships are very often described
as musical by those who appreciate them. Musical because the implications for
abstract ideas may be fluid yet patterned relationships.

This may lead to a suggestion that music as a Dynamic influence is growing
at each evolutionary level of the moq?
Here's another suggestion: A Dynamic philosophy is more musical than a
static one.
No wonder logic has taken off so much in the 20th century - that musical
influence institutionally privileges those who can deal with it over those who
can't. At bottom, these logicians, who poo poo popular music and  aesthetics
may have more to owe them than they would care to realise?

Your suggestion would make a fascinating area for research Dan!
Which area would accommodate an inroad?
Metaphysics?
Aesthetics?
Philosophy of mind?
I'm not sure, but it turns out your suggestion may be close  to my own choice.
Thanks for your support Dan,
Love,
Mark

daneglover at hotmail.com writes:

Hello  everyone

>From: Squonkonguitar at aol.com
>To: moq_discuss at moqtalk.org
>Subject:  [MD] Research
>Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:05:02  EST
>

>Dear Forum,
>On December 6th 2006 i was  informed squonk will be accepted  onto the
>University of  Liverpool's Autumn 2007 mphil research programme,  which
>leads  after
>one year's successful work onto the PhD programme. (This is   standard
>procedure
>for all PhD research staff.)

Hi  Mark
That's great news! Congratulations!

>I've been  negotiating a research area with a joint supervisory team
>consisting of  one philosopher from the Eastern tradition and another
>philosopher from
>the Western tradition. It has been my  intention to focus upon  one area
>common to both traditions which  will then support the moq as a viable
>unification.

There's some interesting research being done into  how the brain perceives
language and music. This particular article caught  my  attention:

http://today.uci.edu/news/release_detail.asp?key=1554

Would  it be at all worthwhile to explore the correlation between biological
perception of language vs. the resultant cultural philosophy by comparing
Eastern and Western tradition in this light? For instance, traditional
education in the West consists of students learning what the instructors
teach. Traditional education in the East, at least in Buddhism, seems to
rely on students realizing for themselves what they already know. How does
perception of language affect the differing contexts?

Not sure  exactly what I'm getting at, really. There seems to be something
there  worth exploring though. More thought would be required to nail it
down, I  guess.

>Support for this application could not have been  more encouraging; the
>people at Liverpool have been supportive and most  kind. As one of the
>philosophers
>commented, 'I know you  want this shot through with Quality.'
>
>If anyone should wish to  offer suggestions regarding an appropriate  area
>of
>research i will be happy to consider them  seriously.
>I've got an area in mind, and one individual apart from the  two potential
>supervisors, (who shall remain nameless, i.e. Ian  Glenndening) knows what
>it is.

Good luck  Mark.

Dan

moq_discuss mailing list