[MD] Food for Thought

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 16:41:57 PST 2006

Hi Dan, and DMB, Arlo, etc.

Brain food, many a true word I fear (must follow that up) ;-)

DMB said to Arlo

> >Right. The morality of vegetarianism is really just about eating as far down the food chain as possible. There is no such thing as non-biological food, but we can make choices from within that level. I suppose that cannibalism is taboo precisely because people are almost always more than biological.

Ian asks DMB.
Although the choices you refer to are in the "biological" layer,
you're not saying the morality is biological here are you ? I'm
guessing your choice of the word "taboo" suggests you see it as mainly
social, but do you see it in any sense intellectual too ?

(If I was being picky I might argue against your assertion "there is
no such thing as non-biological food", but that would just be a
definitional matter, so probably not relevant.)

Ian