[MD] Food for Thought

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 14:27:57 PST 2006

Arlo, absolutely ...

You said
I think again it's a distinction between high and low quality
intellectual patterns, not social and intellectual patterns.

I say I completely agree with you, it's exactly what I was trying to
illustrate, by leading through the alternative attempts at ways of
expressing it.

The problem is the MoQ "Social vs Intellectual" levels suddenly cease
to be a useful distinction in what makes these (both intellectual)
patterns high or low quality.

I've been wrestling with the "so if that doesn't, what does" question
for about 2 years. "Falsifiable rationale is better than unquestioning
faith as the basis of an intellectual pattern" is a rough and ready
indicator, but it begs loads of questions. (That is 2 years post-MoQ
of course; to DMB's chagrin, I've been 10 years on the quest, that
falisfiable, objective, logical-postivist, reductionist, materialist
view of "science" is not the definitve answer for the high-quality end
of that scale - long before I'd heard of MoQ, or would give a theist
or mystic even the time of day - it was just the best evolved answer
to come out of the enlightenment.)

In fact it resolves almost to "the examined life (pattern of mental
behaviour)" is better - where the quality of the "examination" becomes
the determinant, and I think the reason we keep drifting back to the
social / collective vs individual / intellect confusion is precisely
because the examination involves "self-conscious will" rather than
"received authoritative wisdom".

(Hence my dive down the free-will alley to avoid imposed authority.)

The MoQ is still the right (static / dynamic) framework, and Quality
the right (non-SOMist) metaphor, but there is definitely something
"wrong" with levels 3 & 4.

I think you're right to make the distinction between "a (conceptual)
pattern believed", and the "belief (intentionality) in a pattern" - I
think that's all the social (action) vs intellectual (thought)
distinction is really about.

Ian