[MD] Food for Thought

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 14:44:43 PST 2006

Ian said:
The problem is the MoQ "Social vs Intellectual" levels suddenly cease to be
a useful distinction in what makes these (both intellectual) patterns high
or low quality.

dmb says:
Why is the distinction suddenly not useful? Aside from the question of
relative merit within the intellectual level, I don't really see a case
against the distinction so much as a lot of confusion about it. On what
basis, exactly, are you rejecting it? Isn't it just that you don't see it,
right? You haven't really made a coherent case against it, have you? Or did
I miss something?

Ian said:
...to DMB's chagrin, I've been 10 years on the quest, that falisfiable,
objective, logical-postivist, reductionist, materialist view of "science" is
not the definitve answer for the high-quality end of that scale - long
before I'd heard of MoQ, or would give a theist or mystic even the time of
day - it was just the best evolved answer to come out of the enlightenment.

dmb huh:
Huh? Are you equating the MOQ's intellectual level with logical postivism,
reductionism and all that other nasty stuff? If so, maybe that is part of
the reason the social-intellectual distinction isn't working for you. As I
see it, the MOQ attacks this worldview as flawed and is designed to offer an
expanded notion of rationality, one that is not in conflict with the claims
of mystics.

Ian said:
...and I think the reason we keep drifting back to the social / collective
vs individual / intellect confusion is precisely because the examination
involves "self-conscious will" rather than "received authoritative wisdom".
(Hence my dive down the free-will alley to avoid imposed authority.)

dmb says:
I think we keep drifting back to it because its a well-worn cold-war trope.
Its a favorite of Ayn Randians and anti-communists everywhere. The rights of
individuals is part of the principles of democracy, its the rugged
individualism of the American cowboy and its central to all the hero myths
of Pagan Europe too. Individuality is important for all kinds of reasons and
it has a long, long history in our culture. We love the dragon slayers,
quaterbacks and the fairest in the land. Unfortunatley, individuality has no
relevance to the question. That's a different issue with complications of
its own. I mean, are we really going to do well to examine one of the MOQ's
key distinctions in terms of the subjective self? I mean, if individuality
isn't seriously, heavily freighted with SOM assumptions, then nothing is.
Isn't that conception of the self, as distinct from the world and society,
the epitome of the problem with SOM? Isn't that pretty much the definition
of alienation? Isn't that what got us in this mess in the first place? Well,
perhaps I exaggerate the case, but surely that concept is tangled up in SOM.

Ian said:
The MoQ is still the right (static / dynamic) framework, and Quality the
right (non-SOMist) metaphor, but there is definitely something "wrong" with
levels 3 & 4.

dmb says:
Again, I'll ask you to be much, much more specific about what's "wrong". I
haven't been able to detect an actual case against this distinction. I
understand that you've rejected it, but don't have a clue as to the basis
for that move.

Ian said to Arlo:
I think you're right to make the distinction between "a (conceptual) pattern
believed", and the "belief (intentionality) in a pattern" - I think that's
all the social (action) vs intellectual (thought) distinction is really
about.

dmb says:
The difference between intellectual and social is the difference between
thought and action? Man, I just don't get that. Aren't you just bringing the
(irrelevant) mind/body problem in to complicate this? Unless action has to
mean physical motion, it easy to assert that thought is a mode action. Ever
notice that "thinking" is a verb, for example? The distinction between
holding a belief and the belief itself seems to introduce a
consciousness/content thing that just as bad. I mean, the MOQ's conception
of the static self is not the subject who holds beliefs, but is constituted
by those beliefs. I mean, I think the MOQ's conception of the little self
says that consciousness is identical to content, although it sounds wierd to
put it that way. Its more like they're not two different things. Again, SOM
is sneaking in the back door here.

Arlo said:
.., but I don't think that its as simple as saying "social patterns are the
result of authority". NASCAR, for example, is a good example of a social
pattern. And yet it does not derive from authority. It results from
individuals working collectively towards a specific activity (driving really
fast in circles... and drinking beer.) So while social patterns are often
governed by obedience to a social power structure, this isn't (as I see it)
the key distinction between S/I patterns.

dmb says:
Well, its not simple but I think we can safely say that NASCAR is something
like a bread and circus event. Its a socially acceptable way to be amused
and distracted. And its no accident (pun intended) that there is a whole
lotta flag waving at such events. A good Marxist could have a field day
looking at the social function of such things. What is it Chomsky says about
being a fan of professional sports? It teaches irrational attitudes of
submission to authority. Been to a baseball game lately? The rituals of hero
worship and nationalism run from beginning to end. If you don't see cops,
soldiers and flags galore, an understudy was running the show that day. In a
society as complex as ours, there are always going to be complicating
factors. The cars parked in nearby lots are built of highly complex
engineering principles and can only operate because of layers and layer of
infrastructure and most people are just there to feel good and have a little
fun. Its a biological thing too. But its not too hard to make a case that
these sorts of things do serve a function on the social level even if the
people in the seats don't see it that way. I think its also safe to say that
NASCAR serves no intellectual purpose, even if the technological innovation
made in auto racing have produced practical results too. But I suppose
that's the purpose of being a race mechanic as opposed to being a fan in the
seats or a viewer at home.

Arlo said:
Also, it suggests that "disobedience" is the earmark for "intellectual
patterns". But I don't see that. Just try to disobey the law of gravity!

dmb says:
This is where I gotta step in a defend the principle of opposition. I
suppose disobedience would be a species of this principle, unless its just a
child's refusal or something. I mean, there is a section of Lila where
Pirsig puts the distinction between the first and second levels in terms of
gravity. Life, he says is opposed to the laws of inorganic nature. Its seeks
to overcome them, exploit them for its own purposes. He says life could be
defined by that which defies the law of gravity and inertia, or something
like that. He doesn't mean that life can break the laws of nature, but
locomotion and flight are ways to get around them, so to speak. This is a
way to think about what it is that makes a level discrete and independent
from its parent. In the same way, society can't defy or ignore the need for
food and sex or the desire for power, but it can tame these demands, exploit
them for its own purposes. And I'm just saying that a similar principle of
oppostion applies to the relationship between the social and intellectual
levels.

dmb