[MD] Sneddon Thesis

Ant McWatt antmcwatt at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 20:42:56 PST 2006

Platt Holden stated December 14th:

>Now in reading Sneddon's thesis I got the definite impression from his
>use of the words I highlighted that for him DQ was part of a cause-
>effect system. In other words, I felt he mislead the reader right off
>the bat. At least I didn't detect his cautioning the reader that DQ is
>"outside" any scientific-type, mechanism-driven explanatory paradigm.

Platt,

For a person who tends to overlook the Zen heritage of the MOQ your (ironic)
query made me smile.

Anyway, to be fair, remember that Andrew Sneddon's MA thesis was written
(and submitted) even before Pirsig's 1995 SODV paper was presented in
Belgium.  The Zen orientated qualifications about Dynamic Quality (icw not
being in any scientific-type, mechanism-driven explanatory paradigm) by
Pirsig (in "Lila's Child" etc) that you mention - which I agree are
important to keep in mind - hadn't even been written then.

Despite this, Sneddon commences his analysis of the MOQ with emphasising
that Dynamic Quality is essentially indefinable i.e.

"Dynamic Quality is the undefined stimulus to change--the feeling that
drives upwards evolution Static quality consists in patterns of behavior
that ‘work’--’shapes’ of quality that satisfy the upward urge for the moment
and function as platforms for the next response to the Dynamic stimulus."

In other words, Sneddon had it right re: the MOQ, as far as you could do in
early 1995 (without being Robert Pirsig or Richard di Santo or possibly a
Zen Master!).

Best wishes,

Anthony