[MD] Sneddon Thesis

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Sat Dec 16 06:48:28 PST 2006

Quoting Ant McWatt <antmcwatt at hotmail.co.uk>:

> Despite this, Sneddon commences his analysis of the MOQ with emphasising
> that Dynamic Quality is essentially indefinable i.e.
>
> "Dynamic Quality is the undefined stimulus to change--the feeling that
> drives upwards evolution Static quality consists in patterns of behavior
> that ‘work’--’shapes’ of quality that satisfy the upward urge for the moment
> and function as platforms for the next response to the Dynamic stimulus."

Thanks Ant. Hadn't focused on Sneddon's thesis being written before SODV. But, it
was the above (rather lengthy) sentence using vocabulary such as "stimulus,"
"feeling," "upward urge" and "stimulus" again that led me to the question I raised.
Energy itself as used by science is undefined. Only its various forms
are described such as atomic, electromagnetic, gravitational, etc. But science
(along with most everybody else) considers energy to be part of the cause/effect
system which, as we know from Pirsig, is not so with DQ. So the issue as I see
it is not the definition or the lack of it but the spectacles we wear. I'm
afraid those depending on Sneddon's work to understand the MOQ start off blind to
one of MOQ's basic premises and are led astray from the beginning. Or so it seems
to me.

But, I could be wrong. In any event, thanks again.

Best wishes,
Platt