[MD] Food for Thought

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 13:51:31 PST 2006

HI DMB, you write very long e-mails, so I'm struggling to take in
every word ... or rather the relevance of all your points to the one
point I made ...

just a couple of reactions ?

"social belief"
I think you miss Arlo's suggestion ? ... belief is intellectual,
social is action.

You also said
I'd argue that there are beliefs based on tradition and faith and then
there are intelllectual assertions.

Look DMB, it's like you are deliberately missing the point being made.
What you are saying is true, but it doesn't seem to provide a
definitive basis for deciding which kind of truth we're dealing with
at any given point. Even intellectual assertions are based on premises
already believed, not every intellectual assertion is made a priori,
from the ground up is it ? At the point of making that new assertion,
you cannot unpick the entire history of ideas up to that point to
ensure all the premises are believed because they too were
"intellectual". "Social" activities are involved in ideas right up to
the point where they are used as the basis of a new assertion. I know
I must be missing something, that I'd hoped the MoQ would clarify, but
if it's there, I'm not seeing it.

"MoQ is supposed to clarify"
I say obviously, but it seems in need of clearer stating, if we're
going to communicate it.

Be nice to follow this up point by point, and see where we get.
Ian