[MD] Food for Thought

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 15:22:56 PST 2006

Ian said:
I think you miss Arlo's suggestion ? ... belief is intellectual, social is
action.

dmb says:
I didn't missed Arlo's suggestion. I explicitly rejected it.

Ian said to dmb:
You also said "I'd argue that there are beliefs based on tradition and faith
and then there are intelllectual assertions."  ..Look DMB, it's like you are
deliberately missing the point being made. What you are saying is true, but
it doesn't seem to provide a definitive basis for deciding which kind of
truth we're dealing with at any given point.

dmb says:
Well, the part you quoted was supposed to be the definitive basis of
anything. As I have said repeatedly, the basis I'm suggesting is the
principle of oppostion. But I wouldn't claim that it's definitive. Its just
a basic starting point, a general idea, a principle. And one you've ignored
again for some reason. Also, I really don't know what point you think I'm
"deliberately missing" here.

Ian continued:
...Even intellectual assertions are based on premises already believed, not
every intellectual assertion is made a priori, from the ground up is it ? At
the point of making that new assertion, you cannot unpick the entire history
of ideas up to that point to ensure all the premises are believed because
they too were "intellectual". "Social" activities are involved in ideas
right up to the point where they are used as the basis of a new assertion. I
know I must be missing something, that I'd hoped the MoQ would clarify, but
if it's there, I'm not seeing it.

dmb says:
What the heck are you talking about? A priori from the ground up? You seem
to be making a case against the possibility of absolute truth or of finding
the foundations of objective reality. But who said anything about that? I'm
quite sure that I didn't. I don't even see what this has to do with the
distinction in question. Who said intellectual values had to justifed by
"the entire history of ideas"? Jeez, its no wonder you don't see it. There
is no such thing as this. Santa Claus is far more plausible than the kind of
perfection you suggest here.

Ian said:
I say obviously,(the MOQ is supposed to clarify) but it seems in need of
clearer stating, if we're
going to communicate it. ...Be nice to follow this up point by point, and
see where we get.

dmb says:
You've ignored the only point I have. And you made it impossible for me to
understand what point you think I've missed. Seems to me that you're not in
a position to be complaining about how others communicate. Its can be
justified with lots of details, but again, the principle of opposition, as
I've been calling it, is what I've tried to communicate. That's the point
you've missed.