[MD] Social Imposition ?

PhaedrusWolff at carolina.rr.com PhaedrusWolff at carolina.rr.com
Sun Dec 17 09:02:29 PST 2006

Hi All,

I'm still stuck on this thought there is not collective mind.

Man developed as a social animal, and has become dependent on creating
of cultures through collective thinking, and it is more than just
psychological in that our wellness is dependent on this
interconnectivity of collective thinking. What we are calling cultures
are an interconnection between collective thinking of man, as well as
all we experience through nature, including man and even the cosmos.
We are conceptual beings from birth, and our interrelationship to each
other was and is needed by man to evolve.

The term consciousness and mind are considered the same in the Eastern
religions Pirsig speaks of, and only in the West are we ‘convinced’
our self-awareness is from individual interpretation related only to
the functions of the brain.

The difference, or at least as I see it, in Eastern spirituality and
Western science, is that in the East, spirituality is not looked at as
a religion that has developed, but was always with us. Even saying
this, I am thinking more toward ancient Eastern spirituality, as I
believe this spirituality is being lost in the East as well as the
West.

In this sense, I might agree there is no ‘Collective Mind’, as it
seems we are losing it. By losing it, we may not be evolving to a
better world, but destroying the world we live in. Spirituality is not
the same as a religion or belief system, but the same spirituality
that keeps animals from killing each other, but only going through
ritual confrontations where once one has proven the superior, the
confrontation ends with the weaker one recognizing the other is
superior, not an egoistic fight to the death, or killing out whole
tribes for no reason other than ego, and advancing our own wealth and
power.

To me the idea of non-connectedness through an individual mind, only
subject of its singular brain functions would not be Dynamic Quality,
but a static quality, a society of egoistic approach which has led to
the collective consciousness in our Western religions of creating
ourselves as superior to those Easterners, as well as the Westerners
who interpreted our Bible differently. If the others don’t stand on
one foot, rub their belly and pat their head, then they are going to
Hell!, and it is our duty to save them.

The idea of collective mind to me would be one of interpretation, and
the denial of a collective mind might be a recognition that our social
evolvement is creating the chaos Pirsig spoke of in our dogmatic
beliefs in ‘Scientific’ observation of perceived facts; that we can
point to it with our little Aristotelian fingers and call it
knowledge, and this is all the mind is capable of, the functions of
observance in the brain.

Have we not advanced from genetic evolvement to social evolvement?
Does our evolving not depend on our social environment? Is our
developed language not from evolving socially? Could we even exist now
without social stimulation?

IMHO, it is not a matter of whether or not we have a collective mind,
but if we are losing our collective mind; sinking into a static
quality, a mechanical existence, a society of lemmings susceptible to
Herd Behavior, all in the pretense of being intellectually superior.

Chin