[MD] Social Imposition ?

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 18 07:39:39 PST 2006

[Platt]
Evolutionary movement is NOT made possible solely by collectivization and
increasing complexity as you keep asserting. That's the scientific explanation,
not the MOQ's. Pirsig clearly describes the MOQ's  evolutionary principle in
Lila, Chap. 24:

[Arlo]
First, Pirsig's term "Dynamically invented" is hardly less "mysterious" than
"emergence". When he says "cells Dynamically invented animals" I wonder if he
envisioned a cells sitting down and thinking, "you know, we'd be better off if
we invented animals". Indeed, I can't think of a better definition of
"Dynamically invented" THAN "emergence".

Indeed, Pirsig himself hints at this when he says "Mental patterns do not
originate out of inorganic nature. They originate out of society, which
originates out of biology which originates out of inorganic nature." Here
"originate out of" is exactly the language of emergence.

An animal is, of course, an emergent pattern that results from smaller
biological pattern working collectively. A city is a social pattern that
emerges from the collective activity of biological patterns. There is no
pattern in the MOQ that is NOT the result of this process.

I notice here, too, that Pirsig does suggest that social level patterns are not
the exclusive domain of humans. "The animals Dynamically invented societies,
and societies Dynamically invented intellectual knowledge for the same
reasons." But Pirsig backs away from this "invention" when he says "it's as
foolish to think of a city or a society as created by human bodies as it is to
think of human bodies as a creation of the cells, or to think of cells as
created by protein and DNA molecules, or to think of DNA as created by carbon
and other inorganic atoms. If you follow that fallacy long enough you come out
with the conclusion that individual electrons contain the intelligence needed
to build New York City all by themselves. Absurd."

DNA was not "created by" inorganic atoms. Cells are not "created by" smaller
biological patterns. They emerge as the result of collective activity of those
individual patterns. Or I could say "cells originate out of the collective
activity of smaller biological patterns, themselves having originated out of
the collective activity of still smaller patterns, on down the line."