[MD] Daodejing

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Fri Dec 22 16:27:22 PST 2006

Quoting Heather Perella <spiritualadirondack at yahoo.com>:

>      [Platt]
> > I've seen photos of DNA and electron traces.
>
>      This is what your mind says.  This is what your
> current knowledge says.  This is what your cultural
> knowledge says.  They could be just pretty colors to
> somebody else.  Or just strings, etc...

True enough. You gotta know the code.

>      [Platt]
> > All you are saying is symbols don't mean anything
> > unless one understands
> > the code. I agree. Or, have I missed the point?
>
>      What code?  What symbols?

The English language for one. The symbols of DNA and electron traces for another.

>      What I'm saying is:  What's true?  What label is
> correct?

Well, if you want to discuss "What is truth?" you open up a whole new
ballgame, but I think we've been around that barn before.

> Changes, nothing permanent, fill in the
> blank, etc...  That's what I'm saying.  We could agree
> upon something, but since you label 'things' in
> pictures quarks, but don't see hugs or handshakes,
> then our discussion is just muing, changing, filling
> in a blank with our knowing, and since I was doing
> this and you were doing this, now what I'm saying is
> no all-true principle will join this gap, so, what
> we're experiencing now is just fill in the blank.  The
> blank is what is true, such as What is quality?  A
> blank question since it involves a blank answer.

Oh I see hugs and handshakes, but a picture of either one isn't a picture
of society. It's a picture of two individuals touching one another.