[MD] Dawkins a Materialist

Dan Glover daneglover at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 23 12:24:14 PST 2006

>From: "Case" <Case at iSpots.com>
>To: <moq_discuss at moqtalk.org>
>Subject: Re: [MD] Dawkins a Materialist
>Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:26:45 -0500
>[snip]
>Case said:
>
>I mentioned that I was a supporting member of the Jesus
>Seminar for many years because of their stated mission of promoting
>religious literacy. Both you and Dan were at least initially critical of
>this. And still I maintain that by speaking the language of faith to the
>faithful the Jesus Seminar is a more effective voice against fundamentalism
>the cracking jokes about lion poop and calling people stupid.

Hi Case
I think it would be better to say that I was extremely critical of the Jesus
Seminar, period. I recall writing that it is a matter of indoctrination,
pure and simple. I have not changed my mind nor do I anticipate doing so at
any time in the future.

Still, I don't recall saying anyone is stupid for believing in Jesus. Some
of my favorite posts to read here at the moq.discuss came from Sam Norton,
our erstwhile priest. What bothers me is those people who seek to cconvert
others to their own system of belief by making claims which not only fly in
the face of rationality but are blatantly false and misleading.

As to to first part of your last sentence above, I've read and re-read it in
an effort to make even a slight bit of sense of it, yet I have failed. How
is propping up the faith of the faithful an effective voice against
fundamentalism? It sounds (to me) a great deal like preaching to the choir,
or to put it more succinctly, poop.