[MD] Food for Thought

Laird Bedore lmbedore at vectorstar.com
Sun Dec 24 12:27:13 PST 2006

Hiya DMB,
(a quick question before killin' the eggnog!)

> Laird and y'all:
>
> dmb had said:
> ...Radical Empiricism does not allow a metaphysician to posit any entity or
> cause that can't be known in experience. As you very likely already know,
> this would exclude metaphysical entities such as God and Kantian
> things-in-themsleves.
>
> Laird asked:
> Just to be an interjecting pain-in-the-ass (woo hoo!), if you were to treat
> the MoQ the same way as Kant's TITs when looking through radical empiricism,
> you'd have to throw out static patterns of value, since they'd also be
> "against the rules". I'm not sure that gets us anywhere with comparing
> Kant's TITs with the MoQ.
>
> dmb says:
> We'd have to throw out static patterns of value? As I understand it, the
> various levels static quality are known in experience. They are categories
> of experience. Even DQ is known in experience as is revelaed in the monikers
> "primary empirical reality" and "pre-intellectual experience". I think your
> question is not a pain at all. Please feel free to ask away.

[Laird]
I might be mis-corrolating Kant's TITs and their positioning in his
philosophy, but without his TITs, his philosophy has no experience at
all. For lack of a better term, TITs are the 'subject', the source, of
his experience. Maybe it's more like ripping DQ out of the MoQ. Surely
without any source of experience Kant would get a big fat F on a radical
empiricism (or any empiricism) scale? Seems kind of unfair to remove his
access to experience and then try to judge him in terms of experience.

-Laird