[MD] Dawkins a Materialist

Heather Perella spiritualadirondack at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 29 17:20:11 PST 2006

     [SA previously]
> ...wouldn't you agree science involves assumptions?
> What difference is there
> between assumptions and belief?  Sure, assumptions
> are nouns and belief is a
> verb, but in a sentence wouldn't they both be used
> together?

> dmb says:
> Assumptions are not the same thing as faith.
> Assumptions will change
> according to experience. I mean, if an assumption
> isn't working we can ditch
> it. Faith ignores or resists the force of evidence.

     So, what you're saying is the context cannot be
divided from such understandings as faith and
assumptions, and let's not get lost by ridding the
definitions of these concepts supported by distinct
contexts.  Yet, I wasn't talking about faith, maybe I
was, not sure, but what I mentioned is, is believing
(not faith) different from assuming.  In faith, I see
a concept that, as you mentioned, ignores experience.
For instance, when a wanderer walks in the forest and
is enlightened as to what path the wander is upon and
will further walk, who might this wanderer be?  Well,
this happens everywhere around the world, yet, theist
(to use a familiar term of yours), a christian theist,
maybe is more preciously a dilemma, will point out
christ did this and nobody else is Christ, and then
we've got this whole scrabbled eggs debate, warring,
etc... as to christ is not alone/is alone, so,
anyways... What I asked, is, does belief and
assumption differ?

     [dmb]
> To be perfectly frank, I'm seriously bummed out that
> anyone thinks this is
> debatable. I think its a slam-dunk no-brainer. If
> there is anything a
> philosopher should have a feel for, its the quality
> of belief.

     Don't let tiny skulls get you "...seriously
bummed out..."  :-)

thanks.

night, day in Siberia... hmmm maybe?,
SA