[MD] Sin Part 1

LARAMIE LOEWEN jeffersonrank1 at msn.com
Fri Nov 24 18:03:50 PST 2006

[C]:
Free land, all you can take and hang onto, created something of a tizzy
among the laissez-fair set.

[L]:
I'm sure.

[C]:
You bare the name of a television show where two brothers started up a
stagecoach operation after their father is killed by land grabbers. This is
pure laissez-fair.

[L]:
That's interesting.  I wasn't aware of that.

[C]:
Pirsig cites Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in Lila. Let me suggest
another western for discussion. It is a morality play about world views in
collision. Directed by John Ford in 1962. In "The Man Who Shot Liberty
Valance" Jimmy Stewart plays an idealistic lawyer driven to bring the rule
of law to the people of the west. Liberty Valance is an outlaw lord, who
rules by the power of his own mighty hand and the Code of the West. John
Wayne is the rugged individual, a gunfighter committed to the Code in a
personal way respecting honor, the keeping of a man's word and self
reliance.

Jimmy Stewart does help bring the rule of law to the territory. After being
credited with slaying Liberty Valance in a gun fight, he is elected governor
and senator. But in reality John Wayne the man of honor ambushed Valance.

It is a complex tale of personal and community values in conflict. It is
about honor in the face of violations of personal and spiritual Values.

Have you seen it?

[L]:
No, I haven't.  Sounds good though.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers.