[MD] Buddhism's s/o

Joseph Maurer jhmau at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 14:12:43 PDT 2010

On 5/1/10 12:48 PM, "Mary" <marysonthego at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> My question centers around the nature of belief.  How do we become
> convinced?  What is necessary to achieve the state of being convinced of
> anything?  It seems much easier to convince a child of anything than to
> convince an adult.
<snip>

Hi Mary and All,

Imho a child will become convinced of what he is convinced.  Society is very
chaotic.  I am a singer in a Church choir.  To create an atmosphere of
openness I must be open. I have a loud bass voice, and I don¹t like to sing
melody but rather be spontaneous and create a noise (hopefully harmonious)
that allows people to feel good in a crowd setting.  The harmonious choir is
more successful than not in creating an atmosphere of quietness.  To hear a
Church with about 200 people in it remain totally quiet for 7 minutes or so
after we finish a hymn while the rest of the service continues is quite
remarkable.  Most of the time the shuffling in place after most hymns is
quite loud.  But there are those moments when all, including small children,
are quiet.  Small favors!

Joe