[MD] Ideas and Gods

Bennett Jon jonjbenn at gmail.com
Sat May 1 16:45:10 PDT 2010

Horse,

Why don't you respond to my statements about moq or Pirsig, of which I have
made many, instead of lecturing me, analyzing me, or talking down with a
self-righteous attitude. Perhaps this shift in your personal paradigm might
give you a clue of what I'm saying and why it is relevant.

I have the right and ability to define for myself how to participate in this
list, thank you very much.

Let's start simply, if you are truly interested in discussion.

Pirsig clearly thinks we have changed from one age to another, and are in
need of a new metaphysics. He describes the root ideas of a metaphysical
world view and why they need to change, and what they need to change too.

I have been describing just that, if you have been paying attention. I am
intrested, as Pirsig, in these two ages, and the metaphysical roots of each
age. When I make general statements, I have been accused of making dogmatic
statements, so I've been presenting other sources relevant to the
discussion, and I will make an arguement using those sources.

Pirsig speaks of a classical view and a romantic view and claims that moq
transcends both. I disagree. I didn't realize that agreement with Pirsig's
every word was a requisite for discussing his ideas.

How do you describe the classical or romantic world views, and why do you
think moq transcends them?

Here is why I disagree. The classical view was based on the ideas of the
changeless. Do you agree so far? In fact, it was based on the idea of
Absolute changelessness. All change was explained in terms of the
Changeless. The Eternal was more important than the temporal to the
classical, enlightenment world view.