[MD] Ideas and Gods

Bennett Jon jonjbenn at gmail.com
Sat May 1 17:08:58 PDT 2010

Sorry Horse,

I hit send prematurely. I was saying the classical wv was based on the
concepts of changelessness and the eternal. Both of these concepts that show
up in science and philosophy have theological roots. Do you disagree with
that? I think it is fairly obvious.

Another point is that these root ideas of change and eternity are related to
many more root ideas that I have yet to discuss. Some are the
individual,(the indivisible), which is the greek translation of atomos.
Small wonder that the atomic theory, the corpuscular theory of matter
dominates this age. But there are several more inter-related ideas, or roots
of the metaphysics of the classical age. That's what I've been trying to
analyse. All are derived from theology and all are expressed throughout the
whole of the culture, since they are root ideas.

The Romantic age was characterized by dynamic change. Here we see change and
becoming as primary. Reality is now fluid not static, we are in the realm of
the DQ. I believe DQ is a species of metaphysics of Romanticism, and doesn't
transcend it.

Again moq absolutizes the change component. DQ is the real story, sq is a
smaller player. Do you disagree with this?

The classical view explained change in terms of the changeless-absolutizing
the changeless! The Romantic view explains the changeless in terms of
change-absolutizing Change!

Moq likewise absolutizes Change and doesn't transcend these two systems or
in any way resolve them. Although, there are unique aspects to moq it bears
the family resemblance to its family of origin-romanticism. It is a species
of a known genus.

There is also a clear link between the romantic movement and German
idealism. The post I sent last details the connection of German idealism
with theology, as most of the key German philosophers were trained
theologians and intentionally carried over theological themes in their
philosophy.

So it should be obvious that the theological themes are relevant to
understanding Romanticism, and the Classical age, and hence moq.  If you've
ever studied Newton's theology and its relation to the development of modern
science you will see the obvious connection to classicism.

So everything I've discussed are issues raised by Pirsig, or issues related
to those raised by Pirsig. I just form my opinions on multiple sources and
don't take everything he says as gospel.

So tell me what you think of the root ideas of these two metaphysical
systems which moq is said to transcend. And what do you think are the root
ideas of moq?

You really see this change over with in the early to mid 19th century with
the discovery of the non-euclidian ideas.

And what archetype was challenged by these discoveries? Answering this is a
key to understanding both ages.

Jon