[MD] Ideas and Gods

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sat May 1 18:47:31 PDT 2010

Jon said:
And Matt, changelessness, or the eternal is one of those
archetypes of modernism I was speaking of, derived from
God's nature.

And the with our new paradigm in science and the rest of
culture what we have is absolute changlessness being
abandoned, and explained away in terms of an absolute
change. This is what moq does, it absolutizes change. Even
if change is supposed to freeze as sq, it is only relative,
not eternal. The absolute principle here is Change. This,
Matt, again is one of the archetypes of this age-change-and
it is traceable back from physics to philosophy to theology,
as was the case with the paradigm of modernism.

Matt:
I still find talking about "archetypes" clumsy, but I take
your point that "change," which the Greeks began struggling
with conceptually after the birth of a literate culture began
pushing over the oral one, is a more central feature of
European cultures since, say, the 19th century.

However, I take that to be a good thing.  And, following
the work of people like Hans Blumenburg in The Legitimacy
of the Modern Age and Bernard Yack in The Longing for
Total Revolution, I take several forms of life and
conceptual difficulty to be distinctly modern, as similar as
they may seem to problems in ancient Greece or medieval
Rome.  Their work counteracts the flattening of historical
change that intellectual historians like Eric Voeglin and
Karl Lowith enact when they reduce modern dilemmas to
(largely) theological ones.

Progress, or secularization, is not simply the Christian view
of history sans God.  That's usually what is eventually
suggested, and that without God "modern progress" is fake
and bad.  I think there have been many significant, if
occasionally subtle, changes that throw up new problems
that require new solutions, and old problems that simply
fade away.

Matt