[MD] Buddhism's s/o

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sat May 1 23:55:05 PDT 2010

Hi Mary,

> Beliefs are static and difficult to overcome - so be careful what you
> choose
> to convince your children of.

Careful indeed, Mary.  Weight is also difficult to lift, but muscle needs
resistance in order to develop.  I was asking a question about the value of
mental development from resisting the dogma that religion puts on your
"barbells".

So the fact that we hand our children all our hard-earned insight on a
plattitudinal platter, I reckon is akin to bringing them into a world where
they don't have to strive for anything.  Water comes from a tap, food from
McDonalds, ideas from tv.  Give me about one more generation of this and I
predict humans too flabby to think themselves out of whatever mess our
rapidly collapsing economy devolves into.

But hey, that's cool.  I mean the important thing is that there be no real
conflicts in belief, that we're all equally "special" and the personal rush
of liberation we experience in our proudly won atheism is kept as our
uppermost value.

Because in the end, it's not about the effects of my thinking on society or
my children or the future, is it?  It's all about how it makes me feel in
the moment, right?  Nothing else matters to  the nihilistic pleasure-seekers
of the me generation.

I know, I'm starting to sound like Rigel.

Grumpy John