[MD] expanded list Platt

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sun May 2 00:00:58 PDT 2010

ah, well thanks Horse.  I appreciate the diversity of overview.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Horse <horse at darkstar.uk.net> wrote:

> Just a quickie John - in between mixes - Platt isn't quoting Pirsig, he's
> misinterpreting what Pirsig said. I can't find any quotes from Pirsig that
> say that thinking is a biological phenomenon. Platt appears to be making it
> up as he goes.

But so often, what Platt says tickles my sense of rightness, in the same way
ZAMM and Lila did.  I have my own experience and my own pov, I don't need
any confirmation of authority when I read something which confirms and
expands my understanding.

So whether Pirsig said it or not, I know I experience life as intelligent -
able to make dynamic choice in adapting and persisting.

I don't experience this intelligence on a cellular level, but there are
interesting experiments out there which suggest there is more than I can
detect with my naked eye, going on with all life.

And no, I'm not talking about George Lucas's "the Force".

But we need some sort of handy label for what makes life so different than
non-life, and "intelligence" works better for me than most labels.

 Take care,

John