[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Sun May 2 01:47:47 PDT 2010

Mary, All

1 May. you said to DMB

> This debate is about big picture vs little picture.  That's all.
> In the big picture the anti-SOM philosophies you mention are based on
> SOM propositions.  All the way down.  That's the point.  I probably
> will invoke Bo's wrath with this, but my view is that the MoQ is also
> SOM.

You don't invoke my wrath, least not with "the MOQ is also SOM" if
treated with care. Any level (and the MOQ has a level-like relationship
with intellect-as-SOM) has a difficult period of not being fully on its own
and not liking its dependency of his parent and this is what the MOQ
undergoes now and possibly will for a long time.

A few days ago I said regarding Annotation 133 (that the
fundamentalists believe says that Pirsig says that the SOL undermines
the MOQ) how objectively i.e. somishly P. of ZAMM went about
presenting his Quality idea. Had he said that it had been delivered by
an angel or found it written on a wall in fiery letters (like the social level
messages were) it would not have stood the snowball's chance in hell,
he would have been locked up for ever.

But it tears at its intellectual - SOM - chains and will eventually tear
loose. Maybe us Q-liberals want this to happen right away and it's
premature, but at least that's the big picture.

> It is a SOM way of explaining that which would be otherwise
> unexplainable - DQ.  DQ is not SOM.  DQ cannot be named, categorized,
> visualized, or understood by our feeble intellect because our feeble
> intellect is based on SOL and has been since the biological level
> (along with every other species you may ascribe an "intellect" to).

Damn right, after SOM after intellect things MUST be explained that
way. Though I wouldn't say "our feeble intellect", our mighty
intelligence is now in the intellectual level's service and it will be a
tough job for DQ to switch it onto the MOQ mode, but it's relentless
and will succeed eventually, thanks to you Mary, Marsha and Platt. I
have long since become the Bogey-man.

> We are so completely immersed in SOL that we fail to realize that the
> metaphysi we construct are all SOM.  Until we evolve further, we will
> be unable to truly see this.  All we can do for now is allude to it.
> In the normal course of daily life we cannot transcend SOL.  It is
> impossible.  We are not built for that.  We are SOL animals.

Likewise, however SOL is the interpretation, we are immersed in SOM
or better, intellect-as-SOM

Bodvar