[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Sun May 2 23:38:13 PDT 2010

Andre, Platt, Horse, All.

Platt to Horse:
> No doubt in some instances Pirsig considers" thought" to be the
> intellectual level. But, in other instances he considers the intellectual
> level to be the subject-object understanding. There's the rub.

True!

Andre:
> With all due respect to you both I, once again, jump in here to be
> corrected if I am wrong, what is the rub Platt?

Platt again:
> What I don't  comprehend (and what you may be able to clarify for me) is
> how the MOQ as a static intellectual pattern can include itself in its own
> intellectual level, i.e., the problem of a smaller container trying to
> contain a larger one.

Capital TRUE!!

Andre:
> I do not follow the container dilemma. Only, and only if, as you and
> Bodvar argue, you see the MOQ=Reality con-fusion the problem exists. Your
> question indicates the platypus it creates...but it is a paradox only with
> regards to your definition of the intellectual level. The MOQ is NOT
> reality. It is a static, intellectual representation of it.

One can get too smart-ass. About the MOQ as a (subjective)
representation of reality" in contrast to "the MOQ as (objective) reality"
reflects SOM and I recommend ZAMM's Newton parable. His theory
created the Gravity Reality and the MOQ will create the Quality Reality
.. when it's rid of its crypto--SOMists ;-) Regrettable Pirsig's
Quality/MOQ meta-metaphysics also reflects SOM.

> Pirsig has stated so often that when being confronted with theoretical
> dilemmas you need to go back to the assumptions underlying the
> theories...and critically look at those and invariably you find that there
> is something not right about the assumptions upon which the theory is
> based.Especially if it does not adequately reflects empirical
> experience.Hence the theory needs to be changed.

Total agreement, check your SOM assumptions, they are
conspicuous.

> Back to the analogy of the dictionary...look up the word 'dictionary'...
> does the word 'contain' the dictionary........? Is there a container
> problem here? Come on Platt.

Yes, in the a sense. The word "dictionary" contains all such books.
Language's phenomenal force is that of compressing all wide-spread
phenomena into relatively few "symbol that can be manipulated by
rules of grammar and syntax" (logic) and may yield new contexts when
fed into our biological intelligence. Much like mathematical equations
can yield new physical realities (particles) before any experiment has
affirmed them.

Bodvar