[MD] Reading & Comprehension

Andre Broersen andrebroersen at gmail.com
Mon May 3 06:06:17 PDT 2010

Bodvar to dmb:

As said before look how OBJECTIVELY and ACADEMICALLY - i.e,.
somishly - Pirsig went about to present the Quality Idea in ZAMM.

Andre:
Sorry to interject but Bodvar, you are missing the point completely...once again. It is not incredibly important how ' Pirsig went about to present the Quality Idea in ZAMM'. What is important about ZMM is how he ARRIVED at the Quality idea. Nothing OBJECTIVELY AND ACADEMICALLY....rather intuitively. Phaedrus was 'cornered'... he had no way out... (remember the Poincarre story... he was stuck) and then suddenly Phaedrus went a path, which to his mind no one in the West had walked before (or something like that).

Then one encounters the problem of how to present this to everyday people in everyday circumstances and to see your own insights fit into, and builds on to mainstream American pragmatism.

I will leave the more 'learned' exposition of dmb's arguments and presentation of evidence to dmb ( if he doesn't feel insulted by your sly remark) but let me remind you again of Phaedrus' assessment ( yep, here he is again):  if 'reality' can only be known and understood by a hand full of people... whats the use? And when you try to make it plain and understandable for 'the common person' [like me]) then you are bound to come up against a million common sense prejudices, conditioned patterns and conceptualizations, beliefs and what not more... when all Phaedrus, James, Northrop, Gautama and a host of others are saying: experience directly, kill all intellectual patterns and see for yourself.